Beards have become a staple in today’s mainstream society. The secret about beards that very few people talk about is that they can cause acne. This type of acne can sometimes be painful and somewhat embarrassing. Fortunately for beard growers everywhere, you can resolve this issue in a few simple steps.
How Beard Acne Occurs
Beard acne is different from acne that develops from shaving. The origin of beard acne is somewhat unknown; however, dermatologists have decent and logical hypotheses. One cause may be from the dirt and bacteria that accumulates in the beard and, in turn, transfers to your face due to lack of proper beard hygiene. Many men do not realize the need to care for their beard hair just as any other hair on the body.
Some people simply have bad reactions to beards as they can cause inflammation. Others may find themselves touching their face more resulting in transferring additional pore-clogging oils and dirt that will result in acne. It is also possible that acne that has developed is actually ingrown hairs that need pulled out from under the pimple-looking bump. One of the easiest ways to prevent beard acne to use a few simple treatments and follow daily beard care.
Daily Beard Care for Acne Prevention
To prevent acne from beginning or becoming worse, it is imperative to establish a daily beard care routine.
- Wash your beard regularly, but not everyday. Special beard soaps exist or simply use your favorite shampoo and conditioner.
- Avoid blow drying your beard to prevent drying and flaking of the skin.
- Use a cleanser every morning and night.
- Comb your beard daily to prevent ingrown hairs.
- Moisturize and keep your skin hydrated.
- Exfoliate regularly.
- Use a beard oil to keep your beard hair smelling fresh while soothing your skin.
- Change your pillowcase at least once a week, if not every few days.
It should be noted that if you suffer from acne, growing a beard may seem like a good idea to cover it up; however, most people in a similar circumstance have been known to develop worse acne with a beard. Therefore, it may be counter intuitive to grow a beard if you already suffer from acne. If you follow this daily beard care routine, you are likely to establish an attractive and healthy beard in addition to great skin.