Have you jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon yet? This natural ingredient has been getting lots of press lately for its ability to repair split ends in the hair, prevent belly fat, treat Candida and so much more. Why the hype? Today, we're taking a look at the many benefits of coconut oil for skin. Come back to the blog next week for Part 2 of our piece, which focuses on the health benefits.
The skincare benefits of coconut oil
A favorite ingredient of holisitic health practitioners, coconut oil offers many skincare benefits.
- Moisturizing benefits -- Coconut oil is composed of saturated fats. In skincare, these fats help the skin retain moisture and create a supple feel.
- Protective benefits -- Abundant in Vitamin E, coconut oil contains antioxidant properties. Applying coconut oil may help fight environmental damage. These protective benefits may help to prevent the visible signs of aging.
- Anti-aging benefits -- In regions where coconuts are readily available, natives use the oil as an all-natural wrinkle fighting cream. In fact, it is often the only skincare product used.
- Reparative benefits -- Coconut oil is also rich in protein, which may aid in tissue repair and improve cellular health.
- Eczema treatment benefits -- Many people with eczema say that coconut oil helps to combat the itching associated with this skin condition.
There are many ways to incorporate coconut oil into your beauty routine. I find that it works well as a lip balm. It also works well as an eye makeup remover. Just use a pea-sized amount and gently massage into the eye area. You will find that even mascara seems to melt away. Or even better, choose a gentle cleanser with coconut oil to wash your face at night. When you are product shopping and reading the labels, it may say Caprlyic/Capric Triglyceride instead of the words "Coconut Oil."
Do you use coconut oil on your skin? What is your favorite use?